March 3, 2009

Blame The Intern

According to Joe’s email blast yesterday:

“Dear Neighbor,

I’m pleased to report that the agenda and minutes of the 49th Ward Zoning and Land Use Advisory Committee are back online. A well-meaning student intern in my office had accidentally erased the minutes from my web site some time ago. After months of hard work, we’ve been able to restore the agendas and minutes and put them back up.”


We have a new person at work so would it justify my point to call her an intern? After all, she’ll have to learn all the databases, where to find reports to make more reports for starters. Suppose she accidentally ‘deleted’ very important documents from the computer. There have been incidents where documents were moved from one folder to another on the shared drive. After the initial shock, I found they had not been deleted by doing a search. Another time I called IT and the missing documents and files were restored from back-up tapes.

Let’s assume these agendas and minutes were saved (hopefully) as pdf copies of word documents (originals). How difficult (time consuming) would it have been to pull up the original word documents, save as a pdf documents and re-post on a website? True, blogs don’t like pdf formats but when saved as a .jpg they post beautifully and quickly.

It’s really sad to blame an intern with this pitiful excuse especially since these documents have 'gone missing' before. Months of hard work? Or was it continuing pressure from certain constituents? Or is it time to start the pre-campaign campaign?

Remember to save the originals and back-up, back-up, back-up. It saves months of hard work having to re-write from scribbled notes.

5 comments:

RogersParking said...

Joe's logic suggests those minutes where never shared with anyone, sent to or by anyone.

The only copy of those minutes were on one computer and nobody but Joe ever saw them or had a copy of them?

Damn right it's transparent.

Hugh said...

I wonder if it was the same intern who accidentally included the honeymoon website expenditure on the campaign committee expenditures

it's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkey interns

Hugh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hugh said...

"A well-meaning student intern in my office had accidentally erased the minutes from my web site some time ago."

translation: "...some time ago."

"In early 2008, once I found myself in a run-off, I bought in professional campaign management. And of course one of their conditions for taking the case was that they control the message. I had to take down the zoning cases because I couldn't afford to make it too easy for my constituents to connect the dots between my zoning activities and my fund-raising activities, and of course every zoning isssue had a campaign fund-raising component."

translation: "A well-meaning student intern..."

he meant well: he meant to follow directions

Moore disbands "community" zoning committee (March 31, 2008)

Moore Signals Interest in Congress (April 11, 2008)

Hugh said...

"After months of hard work, we’ve been able to restore the agendas and minutes and put them back up.”

translation: "After months of hard work..."

"Now that I've been re-elected and the musical chairs from the Obama election and the 5th Congressional district have played out, we’ve put them back up.”